Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Older the Better...

I've loved Old, chipping paint, tattered, worn, vintage anything from hats to Cabinets(Pull-Outs) for as long as I can remember. I think it has a lot to do with both of my Great-Grandmothers homes~ one was an old Spanish style home, and the other had a comfy Cottage feel to it. I loved everything about visiting their homes....there's nothing better than a Grandmother :)

These are just some spots in my house with some of my favorite Old pieces.
1)The Hutch I found years ago at an Antique Shop that was going out of business(so I got a really good deal)I was told that it had been pulled out of an old home in New Mexico.
2)I bought several pieces like this wooden awning(or some type of decoration pulled off the outside of an old home before being destroyed)I've used some as shelves or as decoration over a doorway.
3)I originally bought this door in hopes to use it in place of a bedroom door, but I've found that older doors(I mean really old) are hardly ever are compatible newer homes~ even homes that are 20-30 years old. So instead I've used it as a room divider, separating my living room and dining room.
4)I found this vintage green wicker hamper on my last trip back from my Grandparents house in Pismo Beach. There's a little Beach front strip of shops off Santa Claus Lane in the town of Carpenteria. I don't know if it's still there, I've wanted to take a trip back ever since~ the shop was over-stuffed with the best vintage finds, it had a very Rachel Ashwell, Shabby Chic feel to it. I guess it's a good thing the shop was too far for me to just run over to.

3 comments:

ittybittybirdy said...

Your home seems so warm and welcoming!

Linda Summerfield said...

Excellent pics, looks like a home decorating book I would want to own!

Anonymous said...

HEY, that hamper looks familiar, I think my mom had that in my room when I was a kid! LOL ... am I aging myself? :-P